Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Step Up to the Plate in 2012

Remember what it felt like on game days when you were a youngster playing little league baseball, recreational softball, competing on the tennis court, or taking the 3-pointer to win the game at the buzzer?  For most of us, we were stepping out of our comfort zones and into a game that demanded  focus, determination, confidence, skill, talent, consistency, perseverance, the ability to communicate, killer instinct, a positive attitude, a purpose, a plan, drive, and the willingness to practice in order to get better.  And we did all of this in front of a crowded set of gym bleachers, chairs lining the fence full of onlookers, and our parents whose hearts were beating faster than ours, fingers tightly crossed that we'd score, slide, or hit a winning shot.  No matter the outcome of game day, our coaches always called us winners, patted our heads, and sent us home to eat a wholesome dinner.  They greeted us with motivation, an inspirational pep talk, and new skills to teach at the next practice.  We kept coming back with a renewed sense of self and of the game - looked up to our coaches who made us believe in ourselves and encouraged us to expand our comfort zones and Step Up to the Plate - to keep our eyes on the ball - to swing at our pitch - to run with speed and conviction - to round the bases just so - to stretch a hit into a double - to brush ourselves off after the slide into second - to stand tall and proud when we faced the crowd.

I remember the days when I played softball as a kid and competitive tennis for many years - I was a nervous wreck.  This feeling in the pit of my stomach sat lurking, just waiting for a chance to attack- waiting for me to wave the white flag and surrender.  No matter the outcome of the previous game or match, I still practiced every single day, I still wanted to improve my swing, I remained focused on my purpose, I set new goals for myself, I kept a positive attitude, I built a support team, I studied the game, and I continued to step out of my comfort zone.  You see, I didn't let the losses or the bad games or the missed opportunities prevent me from developing myself as a true contender.

What is it about adulthood that causes us to give up so easily, to rely on someone else to make us successful, to watch Keeping Up With the Kardashians rather than reading an inspirational book, to lose our focus, to only think about our goals, to live someone else's dream, to lose our confidence, to lose all control, to become addicted to sin, to become so overwhelmed with negativity, to lose sight of our dreams, to let life pass us by without a fight.  Maybe we should reconsider the sweet innocence of a child - maybe as children we had it all figured out until we allowed everyone and everything to stand in our way.

Are you ready to Step Back Up to the Plate in 2012?  Are you ready to regain your direction, your focus, your drive, your confidence, your consistency, your perseverance, your positive attitude, your purpose, your passion, your plan, your skill set, your talent, and rebuild your support team?  Or are you too afraid that the crowd will shout, "BOO!" when you fail or that you'll get so much praise that you won't know how to handle it?  What is holding you back from reaching your dreams, from living your life to the fullest?  What will it take for you to step out of your comfort zone and manifest that inner child that still lives inside of you?

Megan
Ready to make this year your year?  Contact me at megan@structuredwellness.com or 919-906-0753 to book a free opening session!

1 comment:

  1. Like your blog topics. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete