Thursday, March 1, 2012

Redefining Yourself Through Motherhood Series: Part 2, Chapter 8

WOW!!  It's been quite a few days since I last posted!  I guess I've gotten carried away with some of the other products and programs I've been developing that I have neglected keeping you updated about my motherhood and reinvention story!

Chapter 7 ended with me introducing you to how I first started "working" my direct sales business.  When I realized that I wasn't converting potential customers into actual customers I decided that it was time for me to learn more about this business and about how to do business with others.

First, I set out to join a networking group, something that was a totally new concept for me.  Remember, I previously networked with 14-18 year old students in a classroom for 5 years!  A far cry from the real world to say the least!  Even though I was skilled at communicating with people, the thought of networking was very intimidating.  I jumped on the Internet and stumbled upon a fabulous site called Meetup.com.  Eureka!  I had discovered the pot of gold on the other side of the rainbow!  Thousands of meetup groups populated the Triangle area where I live.  I knew that I wanted to start out networking with a group of people that I would feel most comfortable around.  Luckily, I found a Women's Power Networking chapter just 15 minutes up the road in Chapel Hill.  I joined by the click of a button and went to my first meeting a week later.

I had to bring our daughter, Brighton with me, but that was okay because the room was filled with other understanding mothers.  Now, the room wasn't filled with babies, but at least I was welcome to bring my sleeping baby that didn't say a peep!

Networking was a way for me to regain the skill of communicating effectively.  It allowed me to spend time with other working adults who were running successful small businesses.  Each week, an expert presenter gave a 10 minute speech about their area of expertise.  What a great way to get in some professional and personal growth.

My #1 goal was to GROW as a business woman and this was a great place to start!  I was soaking up all of the information I possibly could that would help me become a serious business owner.  If I expected others to take me seriously then I knew I had to treat this like a business, not a hobby.  I began to schedule one on ones with other women in the group and even used the services of Jennifer Conaway of Your Next Level, Inc. for some business consulting.  She is fabulous by the way!  Also an excellent Speaker Coach.  I found that many of the services being offered by the other women would serve me well as a new business owner.  I probably did spend too much money in the beginning, but it really did propel me forward.

To go from being terrified to join a networking group to now ORGANIZING my own networking group and being a part of three others, I'd say I've come a long way baby!

Lesson Learned #8:  Get out there and learn!  Being in business is all about building relationships and figuring out how to solve the problems of your potential customers and clients.  Go scour the Internet for some networking groups in your area and figure out what works best for you and your business.  Not all networking groups will be beneficial to your specific business so go visit a few.  I don't know of one networking group that doesn't allow you to visit 1-3 times before joining.  Perhaps there are some freebies out there, too!

Stay Tuned!  I invite you to stop by and become a reader of this series as it develops and morphs just like we as mothers develop and morph into thriving, successful women of abundance!  I don't know where this series is going to take me, but I do have a mission.
Megan
Want to receive valuable information from my library of knowledge and experiences?  Just log onto http://www.structuredwellness.com  and sign up to receive periodic information from me that will definitely help your business grow!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment