Monday, March 26, 2012

Creating Your Purpose

What purpose are you meant to serve?  How often do you evaluate whether or not you are truly living out your purpose?  I think we oftentimes wonder, am I doing what I'm supposed to be doing, but all too often, we brush off discovering and moving towards our true passion in life.

Fear sets in.  We hear negative self talk.  Others cause us to doubt it.

I always knew that my purpose was to help others.  I just didn't know in what capacity.  As I've mentioned before, my career began working for the public education system, helping children - or rather baby sitting, disciplining, teaching to a test, listening to gossip, managing a classroom, lesson planning, ignoring my family, working ball games for free, grading papers, working long hours, skipping lunch, missing workouts, taking on extra projects and duties for free.......okay I'll stop!

I hit a pretty low point before I set out on a journey to discover who I am meant to serve and through what vehicle.  This was a process filled with journaling, reflection, reading, thinking, dreaming, visioning and talking it out.

Who do I want to help?
What value will I add to the lives of others?
How will I help?
What is my why?

When I could answer these questions, nothing was going to stop me.

Once I clearly defined my purpose, I began living my life with intention.  Living a life with intention is quite different from how most people live their lives.  Most people don't know why they are making the decision they are making, they're just doing what they've been told or taught to do - or what they've been persuaded or influenced to do by what they see, hear and read.  Most people don't think they have capability of being in control of their own thoughts, beliefs and actions.  They blame others and say, "It has control over me, I don't know why I can't stop."

I encourage you to identify your true purpose.  If it's to quit your job and join the Peace Corp, then so be it.  If it's to have 5 more kids, get started!  If it's to start your own business, what are you waiting for?  If it's to go back to school and get another degree, start filling out your application.  What's stopping you?

You.

Lesson Learned #10:  We are never truly living until we live out our purpose. 

Megan
Want to receive valuable information from my library of knowledge and experiences?  Just log onto http://www.structuredwellness.com  and sign up to receive periodic information from me that will help your business grow!

No comments:

Post a Comment