Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Redefining Yourself Through Motherhood Series: Part 1, Chapter 6

I went from Stay at Home Mom to Work From Home Mom in one afternoon conversation.  I didn't really have any expectations about my business, but I was very intrigued by the possibilities of traveling to exotic destinations for free and earning a monthly car payment simply for sharing an opportunity and the most fabulous nutritional products with others.  My business was in direct sales, one of the fastest growing careers for women right now.  Many women are deciding to forgo daycare and the 9 to 5 job to stay at home and raise their own children.  Donald Trump himself has said on national television in an interview that if he had to do it all over again he would choose Network Marketing to make his millions.

The direct sales business is a very supportive environment with tons of training, support, coaching, guidance, meetings, professional development, workshops and more.  I went full tilt into my business the minute I started.  Well, I went full tilt into studying, researching and feeling like I needed to become an expert on all things health and wellness before I actually shared the products or the opportunity with anyone.  What I've learned is that it isn't necessary to have all of the answers before you start any new venture.  Just go!  And, learn as you go.  If you're passionate about what you're doing and your passionate about the people you are serving then everything will fall into place.

Juggling a 3 month old and a new business was pretty easy, at first.  Brighton was taking two really long naps a day so I had about 5 hours to myself throughout the day to focus on my business five days a week.  I learned that putting systems in place for follow up, goal setting and mail outs was very helpful - it kept me focused, organized and on track for business growth.  But still, I was very green at the whole network marketing business and what it really meant to run a business.  Now I know why so many people fail - they treat their businesses like a hobby.  So began my second journey down an unfamiliar path - motherhood and entrepreneurship.  Combine those together and you've got some figuring out to do real quick!

Lesson Learned #6:  Find something to do during your "free" time if you are a stay at home Mom.  And I don't mean cook and clean.  Take some time to discover what you are truly passionate about and how you can incorporate that into your new life.  Becoming a stay at home Mom can cause you to feel as though you've lost your identity, that you're not ever going to be good enough at anything ever again except motherly and household duties.  Use motherhood as a time to discover what else is out there and start reaching for it! 

Please join me later this week as I dive into my emotional roller coaster as a new business owner.

Stay Tuned!  I invite you to stop by and become a reader of this series as it develops and morphs just like we as mothers develop and morph into thriving, successful women of abundance!  I don't know where this series is going to take me, but I do have a mission.

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment