Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Redifining Yourself Through Motherhood Series: Part 1, Chapter 3

About a month into my SAHM journey I realized that I was spending an awful lot of time inside my home with a baby that slept, pooped, ate, slept, pooped, slept, slept, ate, ate, ate and slept some more.  I was alone.  What better way to get out of the house than by starting my own Mom Group!  I'm a natural born leader so this was right up my alley. I knew a handful of women who had either just had a baby or had a young child and we were all within a 10 minute radius of one another.  I picked a park, I picked the people, I picked the day and the time.  And.....we're off!
What a fabulous chance to interact with other Moms facing the same hardships, milestones and celebrations - we were all in this together and blind as bats.  I remember feeling part of something and I did it like it was everything.  I looked forward to seeing these women, getting out of the house and exerting some energy outdoors each week.  The sad part came when everyone but me went back to work in December.  Once again, I was alone.  This wonderful group had just taken flight and was increasing speed and altitude as we could see the runway in the distance.  Then the engines blew.  I was the pilot and didn't land so gracefully in the Hudson.  There was nothing that I could do to salvage the group.  Some of the kids had in home nannies and others went to daycare while Mom ventured back into the world of work - surrounded by people, intellect, energy, conversation and adults.  The saddest part is that once we all scattered in different directions I kind of lost touch with them all.

Back at home.  Poop.  Eat.  Sleep.  Poop.  Eat.  Sleep.  Alone.  Maybe this stay at home Mom thing wasn't all it was cracked up to be?

Lesson Learned #3:  Become the pilot!!  Start a Mom group if you feel alone and disconnected from the world of adult normalcy.  There are so many Moms out there salivating for companionship during this precious, yet tough time in their lives.  You can easily start a group and advertise it on Meetup.com or call up a few friends in the area with babies.  Don't know your neighbors but you saw a stork sitting in their front lawn a month ago? Go knock on their door - I bet that Mom would be more than happy to whip out her stroller and head down the street for a stroll.

Stay Tuned!  I invite you to stop by and become a reader of this series as it develops and morphs just like we as mothers develop and morph into thriving, successful women of abundance!  I don't know where this series is going to take me, but I do have a mission.

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment