Friday, February 3, 2012

Redifining Yourself Through Motherhood Series: Part 1, Chapter 4

If I sleep, then I won't have to deal with a lack of confidence, internal struggle, getting back into shape or redefining myself through motherhood. For quite a while, all I wanted to do was stay in my pj's and sleep or lay around - maybe clean a pot or a pan, sweep the floor or fold a few pieces of laundry.  I remember not even wanting to appear in the grocery store - for whatever reason, that trip seemed so difficult at times.  What would I buy?  What would we eat for dinner each week?  Would I have to cook since I'm home all day?  I reached a point while being a stay at home Mom where I felt incapable of making decisions, incapable or getting back into the gym, undeserving of the beautiful gifts the universe has to offer, and unworthy of sharing my own gifts with the world.  Why?

So many women that I've spoken to over the past 17 months can relate to this feeling that I call an identity crisis.  I went from working 70 hours a week, in charge of so many things at my school and was viewed as a countywide leader in my field of expertise to being a stay at home Mom whose job was to feed a baby, clean a house, cook meals, change diapers, run a few errands here and there and watch a baby sleep the day away.  I didn't know who I was anymore because I was no longer stimulating myself, I was no longer interacting with intelligent adults, I was no longer making a positive impact on the lives of others.  I literally felt like I was getting stupid - I guess that's what we call the post pregnancy brain.

I started seeing my friends going back to work once their babies hit 3 and 4 months and in a way I was jealous.  I knew I didn't want to go back to the classroom, but I was jealous that these women were giving themselves a chance to live their lives as individuals in addition to serving as a mother to their child(ren).  And these women once again became contributing members of society.  Isn't that what we all want?  To give back?  Of course we all like receiving, but isn't it more gratifying to give?

So, I started a business.  Yes, this incapable, no confidence, going through an identity crisis new Mom was starting a business.

Come back in a few days for my next chapter to learn more about my journey back into the world of work!

Lesson Learned #4:  Create a set schedule and stick to it.  Give yourself some "me" time.  I always waited until Brighton woke me up before I would get out of bed.  And sometimes, I would put her back to bed so that I could continue my slumber.  Wake up an hour before baby usually rises and take a hot shower, put your make up on and put on something that makes you feel good.  Choose an errand to run each day so that you get out of the house.  This gives you the opportunity to interact with adults in the real world and make decisions while on your trip.  If you are now in charge of cleaning house and that seems overwhelming, clean one room a day or tackle one cleaning project a day.  Schedule it out for the week!

Stay Tuned!  I invite you to stop by and become a reader of this series as it develops and morphs just like we as mothers develop and morph into thriving, successful women of abundance!  I don't know where this series is going to take me, but I do have a mission.

Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment